Updated on: 26th November 2015
Effective from: 27th November 2015
By using the Website, you are accepting the practices described in this statement.
What kind of information do we collect and how do we use it?
If you are a subscriber (including a subscriber on a trial basis), your personal information will be used to enable us to verify that you are a subscriber and to deliver any restricted content on the Website to you.
If you sign up to receive newsletters, we will ask you for your email address and your name and this information will be added to our customer databases.
We may use information in our customer databases to send you information about us, our affiliates, our products and services, and our affiliates' products and services that we think may be of interest to you electronically or otherwise.
We request personal information (such as your name, email address and other contact details) from you when you contact us with subscription management queries, technical problems, to comment on the Website, or when you ask for information about how to use the products and/or services made available on the Website. Personal information submitted by you via the contact us page will not be added to our customer databases and we request it simply so that we can respond to you about your query. Statistics regarding the types of queries submitted to us via the contact us page may be collated by us in aggregate form so that we can effectively monitor the Website and improve levels of service.
If you have asked for information or subscribed to restricted content on the Website in the past and no longer subscribe to such service and do not wish us to store information about you, please contact us and we will remove your details from our customer databases. We need to store information about current subscribers in order to fulfil our contractual requirements to you and grant you access to restricted content on the Website.
You may notify us either in writing or by telephone, fax or email that you object to being contacted or being contacted in a particular stated way. If you use more than one email address to communicate with us, please notify us of each email account you use.
What kind of information do we collect?
When you use the Website (e.g. visit, register as a user, subscribe to our newsletters and/or purchase products or services via the Website), we may collect and process the following information about you:
● Information that you provide by filling in forms on the Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use the Website, subscribing to our products and/or services, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion on the Website, and when you report a problem with the Website.
● If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
● We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
● Details of transactions you carry out through the Website and of the fulfilment of your orders.
● Details of your visits to the Website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise, and the resources that you access.
OUP uses Ã’cookiesÃ“ and other technologies on the Website. The terms and conditions governing OUP's use of "cookies" and such other technologies on the Website are set out in OUP's http://global.oup.com/cookiepolicy
How do we use your information?
We may information held about you in the following ways:
● To ensure that content from the Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
● To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you.
● To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
● To allow you to participate in the interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
● To notify you about changes to our service.
● To help us understand more about how the Website is used and to improve the Website.
Subject to applicable laws, we may also use your data, or permit our affiliates and/or partners to use your data, to provide you with information about products and/or services which may be of interest to you.
You may notify us either in writing or by telephone, fax or email that you object to being contacted or being contacted in a particular way. If you use more than one email address to communicate with us, please notify us of each email account you use.
When do we share information?
We do not sell your personal information to third parties.
We share your information within OUP. We also share your information with our affiliates, our licensors, our agents, our distributors and our suppliers that assist us in making the Website and/or the products and services on the Website available to you (e.g. our hosting supplier).
If you sign up for services that are managed or offered by other organisations, they will obtain your information.
If we believe that your use of the Website is unlawful or damaging to others, we reserve the right to disclose the information we have obtained through the Website about you to third parties to the extent that it is reasonably necessary in our opinion to prevent, remedy or take action in relation to such conduct.
We may also disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation; in order to enforce or apply any agreements or licences with you; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of OUP, our employees, affiliates, agents, distributors, licensors, suppliers, and/or our customers. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
If any part of our business (including those of our affiliates) is sold or integrated with another business, your details may be disclosed to our advisers and any prospective purchasers and their advisers.
Security and Our partners outside Europe
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Updating your details and contacting us